Court Filing Fees In California Superior Courts – An Overview

Court filing fees in California are not always required. The most common reason that a person filing at the Superior Courts in California would not have to pay a fee would be if they prepare and file a current fee waiver (FW-001) and it is granted and the court Judge signs or stamps an Order on Fee Waiver (FW-003).

While the Superior Courts in California have not increased their filing fees in the last few years, around 2011-2012 there were as many as 3 filing fee increases that brought the most common filing fees for most court filings to $435 in […]

Can I Serve Court Documents by Newspaper in California?

In California, there are many different methods by which a person can be served with court documents. The allowable method will vary depending on the type of case as well as some other factors such as the location of the parties, if they have previously filed documents on the case or even if you can locate them. While Serve by Publication is an available option for serving someone, it is not the first available option. The California Courts require certain tasks are completed before a serve by publication is allowed.

First off, what is “service”? With regards to the California Courts, […]

Can I file For Custody if I Wasn’t Married to the Other Parent?

For those parents who are not married, and realize that they need custody and visitation orders made, the Superior Courts of California can help. Simply put, California Superior Courts, specifically the Family Law Division, can make orders for custody and visitation for parents of minor children who are not married.

Contrary to common misconception, the process for un-married parents to obtain custody and visitation orders though the family law courts in California is a streamlined process. While there can be some variables, such as in contested cases (custody battles), the court process can potentially get parents from filing their custody petition, […]

The Cost and Procedures of a Civil Name Change in Riverside County

There are several common reasons why a person would want to change their name, and with each reason comes a different set or requirements to change it. The procedure as well we the costs associated with different types of name changes will also vary. The most common name changes may be needed after either a marriage or a divorce. In these situations, the required documents and or fees are wrapped up into the process. One example would be changing back to a maiden name after a divorce. The divorce judgment can have an order that restores a party’s former name. […]

Can I Take My Cellphone into a California Courtroom

You can take your cellphone into courthouses and courtrooms in California. There are however restrictions placed on what you can do with them once you are inside. Most of these restrictions may seem like common knowledge to most, but none the less, the courts do have published guidelines, typically available on their website, of what is and isn’t acceptable use of cellphones in the court. Each County Court in California may be different so you will want to check, and if unsure, you can simply ask security at the front doors when entering. For reference, here is a cell phone […]